Sunday, October 25, 2009

Elements of Style: Update

Probably no one is very interested to know what page I am on in my love-hate relationship with this book, but I'm still noting here that I am now on page 26. And even though I am a little offended that Jordan says I should blog, but then proceeds to ignore my blog, (I know he cannot be very busy with law school, so whatever) I am still blogging, as you can see.
This post has already started badly by rambling, but since it is too much effort to rewrite it, and since my mind is mush from reading this book, I will just state here (because Darren said it sounded like I was giving Jordan a hard time for giving me this book for my birthday) that I am in fact very happy to have this book and can feel myself, mushy brain and all, getting smarter every day.
Now I am in section II called "Elementary Principles of Composition". This is the fun stuff. Also, I found I no longer have to look up every term on Wikipedia, because this tiny little book actually has a glossary at the end, where "gerund" and "participle" are defined (and much more simply than Wikipedia, too).
Only 64 pages left. Woo-hoo. And everyone I know is getting this for Christmas. You too, Jordan. Since you do not read my blog anymore, the book will be a surprise.

4 comments:

Natasha said...

I hate to dampen your Christmas aspirations, but Jordan already has the book. He has actually even read it a bit since you began posting on the topic. Jordan may not have yet commented on your Strunk and White posts, but he has obviously been inspired by them.

Jordan said...

Dearest Tiffany,

I sincerely apologize for neglecting to comment on your recent posts. My intent was only to appear to be "not overbearing."

You may note that of you last 6 posts, 22 of the 43 comments were made by me. This equates to 51.2% of the comments.

Considering this, I did not want to give the impression that I was "trying to take over your blog," so I decided to "simmer down" and not post so aggressively. However, I understand that I may have backed off too quickly and given you the wrong impression altogether.

That said, I must admit there is another, deeper reason for not commenting on your posts as of late. In a way, I was simply basking in the glow of victory. I had taken it upon myself to reignite the smoldering flame of blog motivation beneath you, and I have seemingly succeeded. Consequently, I was enjoying your posts with a sense of quiet satisfaction. Welcome back, Tiffany. We're glad you're back. (I dare say that last part was quite sentimental. If you find that it has brought a tear to your eye, don't fight it, just embrace it.)

Cindy said...

Please, please don't give me this book for Christmas.

Tiffany said...

?!?What?!?
Cindy, you cannot know what you will be missing.
What gift could be better that something to enrich the mind?
And Natasha--wouldn't it be cozy for each of you to have your own copy, and take turns reading aloud each night before bed?

(I've already bought the books, so let's make the best of this, people.)