Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Mission



I am still calming down from a minor panic attack. I went to let the chickens out of their coop tonight and noticed a gourd plant dying. I picked a gourd and two disgusting squash bugs were on the bottom of it. A minute later tons of squash bugs were moving around where I had disturbed the plant. Oh-I strongly dislike those bugs. We had them at our old house and had to stop growing zucchini because the bugs destroyed the plants every year. To make matters worse Maddie brought the phone out to me right after I had pulled the plant out of the ground and was standing in the middle of thousands and thousands of baby, middle size and adult squash bugs, watching them run away over the gravel, towards my beautiful pumpkins. My poor neighbor who was on the phone probably thinks I'm a nutcase now. Sorry, Lavina. I'm really not, except during those annual late summer rendezvous with the dreaded squash bugs. And sorry to my neighbors, too. I only freak out at my kids when they come walking through a mess of horrible insects. One good thing that came out of it was my neighbor's husband suggested the poison 'seven'. I doused the area with what was in the bag I found in our shed, and I will go to the store tonight to buy more. These bugs have a horrible hard shell, but maybe.....Anyway, no one I talk to seems to have heard of squash bugs. I'm telling you-they're there. Here is a picture of their eggs. I refuse to put a picture of the actual bug because everyone would gag and never check this site again. But if we all work together--squish the eggs, squish the bugs, and if you have thousands (move your squash plant around, they're hiding) try using seven. Oooh-enough of this, I'm starting to feel itchy.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Tiffany, are you losing it on us? You know you can call us if you need someone to talk to...